Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Hate Too: And Violence Tops The List

I hate terrorists who kill innocents to sate individual egos: But I have no wish to bomb their hovels - made poorer by their lack of sensitivity.

I hate Osama Bin Laden for his blind hatred and for using his moneys to create more spiritual orphans: But I have no wish to bomb his country of Saudi Arabia – land of Islamic piety.

I hate George W Bush for his sillyisms and apparent density in foreign affairs: But I would not dream of bombing the White House which once housed Lincoln.

I hate the small-visioned generals and politicians of Pakistan: But I do not envision bombing my nation’s neighbour as a security antidote.

I hate China’s guts and efficiency: But my envy will still not allow violence and disarray on the streets of Shanghai and Beijing.

I hate India’s naxalites for turning terrorists when they could have been revolutionaries: But I have no wish to comb and tear down rural India. I would rather build roads.

I hate the saffron brigade for diluting and polluting my religion: But while I may wish them violence in my more frustrating moments, I would rather that they read the Bhagwad Gita to understand Hinduism.

I hate the radical Islamists in India for bombing Indians as vengeance against the easy West and Israel: But I wish no violence against any Muslim. I would rather that they leave the Islamic East to fight their own battles. We have enough battles to be fought here.

I hate the Hindu fundamentalists for becoming the Islamic fundamentalists that they apparently so resent: But I wish no violence against them. I pity their self-destructive tendencies.

I hate the Hindu fundamentalists for decrying liberalism in the name of India’s ancient religion and culture. But I can wish no violence against them for I find their stand laughable. I would rather that they learnt how ancient India was more ‘modern’ than modern Europe and ancient Hindu culture was more permissive than Christianity can ever aspire to be.

I am no temple-going practicing Hindu. But I am a believer. I can and will boast that if any Indian God or Goddess were to come down now: they will find me more Hindu than the preaching men in saffron.

Just like wearing the Gandhi cap does not a pious politician make and wearing a Nehru jacket bestows no Nehruvian sophistication, wearing saffron and tilak gives the wearers no right as defenders of my religion.

I can so hate some more. There are always enough dense fools to hate on. But I do not wish to hate.

I will love. No, not my Gods. I will love the next person. I will love you. I do not know you. But I wish to know you. I wish to listen to you. I may or may not like what I hear. But I will listen without interrupting you. I will tell you about my culture, my roots, and I will listen to you about yours.

I am different from you. I will welcome the difference. I will dwell on the difference between us. I will discard what I do not like in you and me. And embrace, even sheepishly, what is healthy in you and me.

I will debate and grow angry with you, but I will admit that I learnt from you and I will credit you for teaching me. I will celebrate you. For your and mine differences will teach me to indulge the other person.

I will be no rock. I aim to be a sponge.

And this will be my way of truly honouring my Gods. For they taught salvation lay in knowledge.

Osmosis is knowledge. I will seek osmosis.

In seeking osmosis, I will discard the blindfold of hate.

No comments: